Panel Data Analysis Techniques With HILDA Examples3-day hands-on training course
Professor Steve Pudney from the University of Essex will present a 3-day course on panel data analysis techniques on 9-11 December 2013 at the University of Melbourne. The course will use examples from the Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia (HILDA) Survey and will include a hands-on lab session using Stata.
Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea will be provided.The aims of the course are:
- Introduce the distinctive features of panel data.
- Review some panel data sets commonly used in social sciences.
- Present the advantages (and limitations) of panel data, and consider what sort of questions panel data can and cannot address.
- Show how to handle and describe panel data.
- Introduce the basic estimation techniques for panel data.
- Discuss how to choose (and test for) the right technique for the question being addressed.
- Discuss interpretation of results.
- Basic introduction to panel data.
- Introduction to statistical modelling (within and between group analysis, random effects, endogeneity in the context of linear regression models).
- Further modelling techniques, including analysis of categorical / discrete data. Depending on the interest of the group, this may also include attrition and sample selection issues.
- Introduction to the HILDA data and documentation (to be presented by Nicole Watson).
- Some knowledge of linear or logistic regression.
- Some experience using Stata (if you have not used Stata before, you will need to do so before the course begins).
|Location:||University of Melbourne - Room to be advised, Parkville|
|Date:||Monday 9 December to Wednesday 11 December, 2013|
|Time:||9.00am – 5.00pm|
|Catering:||Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea provided|
|Fees:||$840 ($630 PhD and Masters students) includes GST|
|Registration:||Register via the link below.|
Please register early as places are limited to 30 and are secured on a first come, first served basis. Delegates need to register for and attend all three days. To register, please complete the training registration form on the HILDA website.
Enquiries regarding the HILDA User Training may be directed to Victoria Lane on 03 8344 2108 or email@example.com.
Cancellations within 5 working days prior to the start of the training will not be refunded.
If you would like to receive notifications of this and other upcoming courses, please subscribe to the HILDA mailing list.
Past training information
To access links and information about our past training courses, please refer to the Past Training page on our website.