Associate Professor Roger Wilkins
Principal Research Fellow and Deputy Director (Research), HILDA Survey
Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research
Phone: +61 3 8344 2092
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research
Level 5, Faculty of Business and Economics Building, 111 Barry Street, The University of Melbourne
Roger Wilkins joined the Melbourne Institute in 2001 and works in the HILDA Survey team, in which he is Deputy Director (Research). He holds a B.Com(Hons), M.Com(Hons) and PhD from the University of Melbourne and an M.Sc from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. His research interests include the nature, causes and consequences of labour market outcomes; the distribution and dynamics of individuals’ economic wellbeing; and the incidence and determinants of poverty, social exclusion and welfare dependence.
As part of his work in the HILDA Survey team, he produces the annual HILDA Survey Statistical Report, which each year analyses the latest release of the HILDA data.
Roger is a member of the ABS Labour Statistics Advisory Group, the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (AHURI) Research Panel, and the Department of Social Services ‘Building a New Life in Australia’ Survey Technical Reference Group.
Research Interests / Current Projects
Labour economics; determinants and distributions of income and wealth, poverty and welfare reliance; program evaluation; applied microeconometrics.
Selected Publications / Papers
Burkhauser, Richard, Markus Hahn and Roger Wilkins (forthcoming, 2015) ‘Measuring Top Incomes Using Tax Record Data: A Cautionary Tale from Australia’, Journal of Economic Inequality.
- Wilkins, Roger (2014) ‘Evaluating the Evidence on Income Inequality in Australia in the 2000s’, Economic Record, vol. 90, no. 288, pp. 63–89.
- Burkhauser, Richard V., Mary C. Daly, Duncan McVicar and Roger Wilkins, (2014), ‘Disability Benefit Growth and Disability Reform in the U.S.: Lessons from Other OECD Nations’ IZA Journal of Labor Policy, vol. 3, no. 4, doi: 10.1186/2193-9004-3-4.
- Scutella, Rosanna, Roger Wilkins and Weiping Kostenko, (2013), ‘Intensity and Persistence of Individuals’ Social Exclusion in Australia,’ Australian Journal of Social Issues, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 279–298.
- Borland, Jeff, Yi-Ping Tseng and Roger Wilkins, (2013) ‘Does Coordination of Welfare Services’ Delivery make a Difference for Extremely Disadvantaged Jobseekers? Evidence from the ‘YP4’ Trial’, Economic Record, vol. 89, no. 287, pp. 469–489.
- McVicar, Duncan and Roger Wilkins, (2013) ‘Explaining Growth in the Number of Recipients of the Disability Support Pension in Australia’, Australian Economic Review, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 345–356.
- Wilkins, Roger (2013) Families, Incomes and Jobs, Volume 8: A Statistical Report on Waves 1 to 10 of the HILDA Survey. Melbourne: Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research.
- Burkhauser, Richard, Markus Hahn and Roger Wilkins (2013) ‘Measuring Top Incomes Using Tax Record Data: A Cautionary Tale from Australia’, NBER Working Paper 19121, NBER, Cambridge, Massachusetts and Melbourne Institute Working Paper 24/13.
- Hahn, Markus and Roger Wilkins (2013) ‘Perceived Job Discrimination in Australia: Its Correlates and Consequences’, Australian Journal of Labour Economics, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 43–64.
- Wilkins, Roger and Mark Wooden (2013) ‘Gender Differences in Involuntary Job Loss: Why are Men More Likely to Lose their Jobs?’ Industrial Relations, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 582–608.
- Fok, Yin King, Sung-Hee Jeon and Roger Wilkins (2013) ‘Does Part-Time Employment Help or Hinder Australian Single Mothers’ Movements into Full-Time Employment?’ Oxford Economic Papers, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 523–547.
- Wilkins, Roger and Andrew Leigh (2012) ‘Effects of Temporary In-Work Benefits for Welfare Recipients: Examination of the Australian Working Credit Program’, Fiscal Studies, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 335–369.
- Wilkins, Roger and Mark Wooden (2011) ‘Economic Approaches to Studying Underemployment’ in Feldman, D. and Maynard, D. (eds), Underemployment: Psychological, Economic, and Social Challenges, Springer, New York.
- Black, David, Yi-Ping Tseng and Roger Wilkins (2011) ‘Do Changes in Demographic Characteristics Explain Declining Male Employment Rates? Examination of the Australian Case using a Propensity Score Re-Weighting Decomposition Approach’, Applied Economics, vol. 43, no. 28, pp. 4,215–4,226.
- Scutella, Rosanna and Roger Wilkins (2010) ‘Measuring Social Exclusion in Australia: Assessing Existing Data Sources’, Australian Economic Review, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 449–463.
- Coelli, Michael and Roger Wilkins (2009) ‘Credential Changes and Education Earnings Premia in Australia’, Economic Record, vol. 85, no. 270, pp. 239–259.
- Cardak, Buly and Roger Wilkins (2009) ‘The Determinants of Household Risky Asset Holdings: Australian Evidence on Background Risk and Other Factors’, Journal of Banking and Finance, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 850–860.
- Coelli, Michael and Roger Wilkins (2008) ‘Are Skill Shortages a Constraint on Increasing Employment in Australia?’ Australian Economic Review, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 310–322.
- Tseng, Yi-Ping, Ha Vu and Roger Wilkins (2008) ‘Dynamic Properties of Income Support Receipt in Australia’, Australian Economic Review, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 32–55.
- Wooden, Mark, Roger Wilkins and Seamus McGuinness (2007) ‘Minimum Wages and the ‘Working Poor’’ Economic Papers, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 295–307.
- Wilkins, Roger (2007) ‘The Changing Socio-Demographic Composition of Poverty in Australia: 1982 to 2004’, Australian Journal of Social Issues, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 481–501.
- Cai, Lixin, Ha Vu and Roger Wilkins (2007) ‘Disability Support Pension Recipients: Who Gets Off (and Stays Off) Payments?’ Australian Economic Review, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 37–61.
- Wilkins, Roger (2007) ‘The Consequences of Underemployment for the Underemployed’, Journal of Industrial Relations, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 247–276.
- Wilkins, Roger (2004) ‘The Effects of Disability on Labour Force Status in Australia’, Australian Economic Review, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 359–382.
- Johnson, David and Roger Wilkins (2004) ‘The Effects of Changes in Family Composition and Employment Patterns on the Distribution of Income in Australia: 1982 to 1997-8’, Economic Record, vol. 80, no. 249, pp. 219–238.
- Wilkins, Roger (2003) ‘Immigrant Earnings Adjustment: The Impact of Age at Migration’, Australian Economic Papers, vol. 43, no.3, pp. 292–315.
- Tseng, Yi-Ping and Roger Wilkins (2003) ‘Reliance on Income Support in Australia: Prevalence and Persistence’, Economic Record, vol. 79, no. 245, pp. 196–217.
- Borland, Jeff and Roger Wilkins (1996) ‘Earnings Inequality in Australia’, Economic Record, vol. 72, no. 216, pp. 7–23.